Thursday, February 14, 2013

Cutscenes


Legend of Zelda, in my opinion, has some of the best cut scenes.  There isn't really a particular one that I would pick as the best, but for the purposes of this blog I will choose the most recent game: Skyward Sword.  What I love about the Zelda series in general is that there is no voice acting.  Now some people might prefer actual voices, but I think for this game it works, and I couldn't imagine any Zelda game with voice actors.  In a way, it provides the audience with the ability to give the characters their own personality.  Aside from the grunt sounds, or other simply noises to give added characteristics to the characters there is no actual dialogue being spoken (minus Navi's annoying "Hey Listen!").  Because the cut scenes are done so brilliantly, the voice acting is not missed.  Just by the reactions of the characters you can almost tell what they are thinking anyway.  Plus all of the conversations are written out so you will always know what's going on.

With Skyward Sword we are able to get a more interactive feel with the added audio effects.  You are also able to make choices during the cutscenes, which normally is not done in Zelda.  With this kind of style of cut scenes, the audio is really important.  This is another reason why I enjoy SS (Skyward Sword) cut scenes.  The soundtrack is done wonderfully, so each sound really reflects what's going on. I feel SS has some of the best cinematics for these reasons because despite the lack of voice acting it still works.

Below is a link to a cut scene from Skyward Sword.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LIi3jh9ME


Final Fantasy X was an amazing game to me, but this particular cutscene was so bad (yet extremely funny) that I sometimes could not watch it, except to get a good laugh.  I really felt that Square Enix could have done this in a better way.  I suppose it was meant to be funny, but it really was not good to me.

Below is the cut scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-5FTJxfV3pc#!


No comments:

Post a Comment